09415001634 / 9935510008

Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University     

Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University is an important educational, scientific and cultural center of our country. It has a 80-year-long history.

The establishment and development of the educational system in Adjara was a long-time endeavor of the Georgian community. In 1893 the issue was raised to open a Boys' Gymnasium in Batumi. On 26-27 June, 1893 the Municipality of the city granted 2 623, 95 sq/m area of land for the Boys' Gymnasium at the seaside. The project was designed by a military engineer Sedelnikov.

The first floor of the building allocated a gym while the second floor contained the church, assembly hall, eight classrooms, art classroom, physics study-room, laboratory and a library.

The Boys' Gymnasium started functioning in July, 1897. On 26 September, 1900 it became possible to open a Women's Gymnasium as well.

Later, by 1923, a Pedagogical Institute was founded in the building of former Women's Gymnasium (present Public School No.2) which afterwards turned into a Pedagogical College. It used to prepare the first stage school teachers.

In the building of the Boys' Gymnasium in 1935 a 2-year Teacher's Institute was opened with 4 faculties: Georgian Language and Literature, Physics-Mathematics, History and Natural Sciences-Geography. To this the faculty of Physical Education was added in 1936 and a faculty of Russian Language and Literature - in 1938. In 1938 the Institute was named after Shota Rustaveli.